Do you love apple pie – because I do – but you know what, sometimes apple pie is just way to involved. And only the craziest craving will push me to spend hours creating a yummy pie, but what about your average everyday craving. What to do? Well, there is a brilliant, yet simple shortcut to enjoy all the goodness of apple pie without all the hassle. Apple pie crumble – quick and painless with an awesome pay off.
I’ve been making this for a while, but most recently the man and I, M ( I think its finally time I give him at least an initial :) had them for dessert on V-day. So I have apple on the brain, and I think its only right that I share it with my readers. Oh and did I mention its gluten free, which in my mind makes it guilt free – but I know thats not actually true. Any how lets get to it, so you can soon find yourself fork deep in unapologetic deliciousness.
- 5 small apples (I like Gala)
- 1 stick of butter – around room temperature
- 1.5 Cups Gluten Free Rolled Oats
- 1/2 Cup Gluten Free All Purpose Flour
- 1/2 Cup packed brown Sugar
- 1tbs Granulated Sugar
- 2 Tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Preheat the oven to 375 and liberally grease a small baking dish (about 8 x 10).
- Peal and core apples and place them in the bottom of your baking dish. Sprinkle apples with tbs of granulated sugar.
- In a medium sized bowl, combine oats, flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt.
- Slice stick of butter into 1/2 inch cubes. Using your hands work the butter into the crumble mixture made in the previous step. Mixture should appear coarse.
- Pour crumble mixture, evenly, on top of apples, and bake in oven for 35-45 minutes, or until apples are soft.